Thursday, December 4, 2008

Battle of the Algiers


So far i really like battle of the algiers, it really puts arabs in a different light. At least a different light as of lately. It shows that arabs have families just like us and they are not a whole bunch of extremist's. Another reason why i like battle of the algiers is that it shows some of the extreme sides of urban warfare. However i dislike the movie because of the lack of blood. I feel that because of the lack of blood it makes people think that the war is not as bad as it is. I feel that the blood is needed to add realism to the movie and to make it so people don't become content with the violence.  As of now i have yet to see a bad part of this movie and i hope it continues that way.

2 comments:

Matt said...

I thought that the lack of realism caused by the lack of realistic wounds and blood greatly diminished from the overall feel of the film also.

Brendan Baker said...

Will,

I was pleased by the way you said the film "shows (people) in a different light". I agree that it is a huge plus to see both sides represented in the war. Also, I must admit I chuckled to myself a bit when I read you were disappointed with the lack of blood. I'm not sure that's exactly what the filmmaker was going for, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. If you're interested in blood, check out Dovo's post about Commando with "Arnold". I'm sure you'll be pleased with the violence in that movie.